Jesuits denounce violence in Nicaragua
In late May, violent attacks disrupted Nicaragua's capital city Managua, and particularly the campus of the University of Central America, a Jesuit university. Jesuits from Pope Francis to the president of UCA have called for the violence to end. There have been a number of stories about the recent Nicaraguan tumult in Jesuit news circles, however, this has not been a big story in national media. Here are links to some of the Jesuit news stories:
- Jesuits.org "Jesuits Decry Violence and Intimidation, Call for Justice in Nicaragua"
- IgnatianSolidarity.net "Protestors Seek Refuge at Jesuit University in Nicaragua Amid Para-police Attacks"
- IgnatianSolidarity.net "Para-Police Forces Attack Jesuit University in Nicaragua"
- Americamagazine.org "Jesuits Denounce Threats; Seek Protection for Nicaraguan Bishop"
- AJCU "AJCU Joins Jesuit Network in Solidarity with Nicaragua"
- UCA Nicaragua "Statement on Violence in Nicaragua"
Stay up-to-date with the evolving crisis and pray for the people of Nicaragua and the students, faculty, and staff of the UCA.
Photo from todaynicaragua.com